this week its all about making small marks, i started sketching and doing something weirdly consistent, trying to avoid the temptation to judge the work as its not really my judgment to make and something that i need to refrain from doing but the fact that it is coming out in a fairly uniform way has me fairly intrigued. Not sure where they will go next but I guess its a good thing. Forcing myself to do writing is not that easy but hopefully will be productive.
Today we are transporting my stretcher bars up to my studio in Cooroy and that will be a good start in the right direction. For some reason I want to do a series of canvases that are essentially white with only a series of small if not solo mark in the middle in black, total white space punctuated by black marks insignificant, swallowed up by space and standing alone. Perhaps it has something to do with the position of humanity in the scheme of things - terribly small and insignificant, nothing but a spec and a dot in space. It would be nice to have a series of them that move from one position to another position across the series e.g starting with one mark then adding another and another like a trajectory, a trajectory of life moving in and OUT and right off the canvas like a sun setting. Again that idea of transformation is important, a movement from one state to another and then on again - a blank canvas to begin with and a blank canvas to end with and a series or marks in between. Fuck that might actually be pretty good.
This has definitely come out of that series of small works that I did a couple of weeks back and on my previous entries here.
Also, been talking with El about using Twitter to help promote my work, keeping people up to date with what I am up do and so on, when Lisa gets back from NYC I will get her to help me set that up, going to have to factor in some time for Twitter time as well as this writing time.
My camera shit itself and I have to get it fixed however at the moment I dont feel like taking photos more making marks on canvas is where i am at for now.
What I am trying to express? yes its the movement through this plane of life, always my work has revolved around something like that but its becoming more clear for now that its this transformation and this passage THROUGH and OUT of life that I am interested in representing for the moment.
I am not questioning that idea or judging it but following it through. I am not fighting the idea that i need to do this on canvas - just keen to see what happens and what emerges.
Whats inspiring me at the moment is again some good new tunes, El turned up with an external HDD full of excellent music and right now I am really loving an album by a guy called Plan B, its very soul and very good but contemporary so its great, also Lee Fields & the Expressions an Album called The World - kick arse - really. I still really want to link music to my work somehow but just not sure right now how to do that exactly. Going to have to sit with that one for a little longer.
Am looking forward to getting my hands on this new HDD video camera that Lisa bought over in NYC as that is really going to open the doors to some good documenting and some good work, especially once I get a copy of Final Cut and I can edit and sync music to the images, now that sounds like a good way to link music to my work. Problem solved! Now hear this and be happy:-
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.